Saturday, March 12, 2011

American Idol 10 - Top 13 Performs


Honestly, I have never been this excited for an Idol show and this is all thanks to the new batch of judges in Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Out was the sarcastic comments and the totally biased opinions. I wish they would have taken Randy Jackson out of the picture because I seriously cannot stand him but this time he seems to be more tolerable.

Yay judges!

The Top 13 will perform songs from their idols which basically means that some of them will sing songs that are too big for them but oh well. I am hoping for a good show and on with it starting things off with Lauren Alaina.

Lauren Alaina - "Any Man of Mine"
I think there are people who don't like Lauren but I like her. I like her attitude and all that and we still haven't known what "Peaches" mean. Anyway, this song was good but for her, it was just okay. I liked it but I didn't love it. I was not wowed, you know? So out of ten, I would give this performance a 7. (7/10)

Casey Abrams - "With a Little Help From My Friends"
Ah Casey. I like him. He seems fun and totally into singing but at the same time he's not too much of himself that he seems down to earth. With that said, I loved this performance. Its unique, its different, there's the signature growl of Casey and I just love it. (9/10)

Ashton Jones - "When You Tell Me That You Love Me"
I didn't have high hopes for Ashton because I felt like the other wildcard (I forgot her name - harhar) was a better performer for her and it showed with this one. Its just flat and out of tune. And I remember Vonzell Solomon from Season 4 singing this and it was golden. This one is not. And for the love of all good things, stop saying 'Hey!' every pause in the freaking song. (5/10)

Paul McDonald - "Come Pick Me Up"
Ah Paul. What a breath of fresh air, he's totally satisfying to listen to. He doesn't have the best vocals but he is an entertainer for sure. He's quirky, he's fun and what JLo said last week, his smile just brightens up everything. I would love to see Paul go far just so we can have something different every week but win this competition? I don't see it.

Pia Toscano - "All By Myself"
She can sing. She can definitely sing. But I kind of loved LaToya London's (Season 3) version better and that was from the preliminary rounds. With that said, I think Pia is a star, she definitely has the vocals and I would love to see how she would do a fast song because the past two songs have been ballads so it would be interesting to see a different side of her. (9/10)

James Durbin - "Maybe I'm Amazed"
James, James, James. There are times where I liked him and then there are times where I don't. This performance would have been a whole lot better if he sang it on a lower key like he did on the last part of the song. He has a good voice but tends to do it over the top kind of like Adam Lambert. And I never liked Adam the entire season he was there (I was a Kris fan, yes I know). Hopefully he mellows out a bit and show a more softer side wherein he doesn't find the need to scream every single time. (8/10)

Haley Reinhart - "Blue"
The yodels were pretty good but that was it for this performance. It was so boring, so laidback that it didn't catch my attention whatsoever. Sad really because I think Haley's a good singer but this one didn't do her any justice whatsoever. (8/10)

Jacob Lusk - "I Believe I Can Fly"
I loved Jacob when he was singing these old ballads like God Bless The Child but this performance was just ugh. I didn't like it for one second. I think it was too much, his voice was screechy and it didn't work. Normally his voice would work on ballads that actually is on a high note and this one isn't at all. Total disappointment for Jacob. (6/10)

Thia Megia - "Smile"
The first half of the song was great, it was amazing and it showcased her talent and then comes the jazzy tune and I was like, 'WTF is she thinking?'. Smile is a classic song and if she wanted to have a spin to it, she would have done something different and this was just wrong, wrong, wrong. Thank God she started off on the right tone or else this would have been a disaster all throughout. (7/10)

Stefano Langone - "Lately"
With Thia comes Stefano who basically did the exact thing which was change the melody up and do his own thing and it actually worked. Stefano is a performer and I would just smile singing him sing his heart out because you can feel the passion there. He's like this little energizer bunny that puts his heart and soul out in every performance. Really nice. (8/10)

Karen Rodriguez - "I Could Fall in Love"
This was just boring as well. She didn't put anything new to it or if she did, I didn't notice it. It was just not that good as compared to the other performances. I loved Karen on the Top 24 round but this was just disappointing really. (7/10)

Scotty McCreery - "The River"
Scotty is a one-trick pony. There, I said it. He's kind of like John Stevens from Season 3 wherein he has a good voice for a specific kind of genre but that's about it. Scotty sings country music really well, we all get that but give him a different genre of song, I don't think he'll fare that well. Carrie Underwood is a country singer with a country voice but she manages to sing out other songs as well (Alone being on the top of my head). Scotty, as much as I hate it, would make it far and its disappointing because he's not the Idol type material in all honesty. (8/10)

Naima Adedapo - "Umbrella"
And then the final performance of the evening comes in the form of Naima and she rocked it. Her voice isn't that great but she's a performer, for crying out loud, she danced, she rapped, she sang, she performed, she did it all. I think this is a great performance, not the best vocally but performance wise, it was pretty, pretty good. (8/10)

Granted that I am late when it comes to blogging these episodes (I still have to watch the results show) but I would just like to say that I am excited for this Top 13. There were a couple of misses here and there but this was a great show and some pretty good talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment