Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kaos - Daring Acrobatics and More!

I was expecting some sort of a musical wherein there's a prince and there's a princess and they would find each other and live happily ever after.

I was so wrong. Haha.

Kaos from the very beginning grabbed my attention with the dancers. Well actually, from the adviser. Well, no it was the talking lion head animation that got me.

But anyway, I'll divide the review into several portions just so to get the whole gist of it.

And I was bummed that Gian Magdangal wasn't there. He was supposed to be the lead. Boo.

STORY

The story itself was pretty straightforward. A prince is in search for his princess. The king is without a queen and he wants happiness for his one and only son. And then there's the adviser who you think is a good guy but turns evil at the end. And finally, there's the princess who by the way is from the future! That's the only thing that's different from the other plays that I've seen is that the love story took place in another time. They go to the future and fall in love with each other. The adviser tries to break them up when he, himself falls in love with the princess and the prince fights for them and for some reason, the adviser gets defeated and then bam, end of story.

Honestly, I felt that the story was cut so short that parts of it didn't make sense. But the whole musical wasn't about the story at all. Its about the acrobatics, the dances and of course, the music. So for the story, I'll give it a 6 out of 10 just because of the future plot.
DANCING

The dancing ranged from traditional to hip hop. I was so surprised when they did a hip hop dance but it was good. Everybody was doing well, and I was pleasantly entertained. The best part is that there are some of the dancers that head into the audience and shake hands, do hi-fives and do their thing right in front of the audience. Like, there's a guy who's inches away from where I sat. It was a good experience nevertheless.

So for the dancing, I give it a 9 out of 10.

SONGS

There were several songs in the musical that I was bored. They sang so many ballads that I felt that Randy Jackson took me over and I wanted to shout, 'Boring! One cannot live on ballads alone!'. Even my mom said so, seeing that she fell asleep during one number.

But the rest of the songs were well done. The actress playing the princess has one of the highest pitch I have ever heard my entire life. I kid you not. Its like, dang, this girl can sing! So for the songs, its a 7 out of 10 for me I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, the actors can sing their hearts out, but the choice of songs was a bit of a downer.

ACROBATICS / OTHER ACTS

This is where everything changes. We have the air ballet wherein this guy held his partner by his ankles. By his ankles! And they were flying high up in the air! I was like in awe. Then there's this magician who did the normal magic tricks like making his assistant disappear then making him appear again. The sad thing about the magic act is that they used a white lion who looked very malnourished. The lion looked very thin! Its such a shame and I hope they'll do something about that.

And then there's the Wheel of Death. I've seen this act before when I watched the 'Great American Circus' back in December and I was in awe back then but this one takes the cake. They were so good, its like watching them fly without any harnesses whatsoever. Just so you all know what this wheel looks like, I'm attaching a picture.

Its not the actual Wheel of Death as they used in the musical but that's the gist of it. They are in this wheel and they spin around and around.

At one point they'll both head out of the wheel and run around the wheel on the perimeter.

And for the finale, one of the guys would do the running outside the wheel while doing jump-rope! There's this point where he was in the air and he managed to jump rope three, four times I believe. Its so surreal. I'm going wow, that is good.

Then there's these two guys who have the best upper muscle strength EVER. One guys gets on top of the other guy using his one hand and do a hand-stand. Like literally, do a hand stand. And they do another act wherein they make one straight horizontal line. And when I say straight, its straight.

And for the finale, there's these motorbike guys who get on a small enclosure and they drive around it. Its like being inside an orb and mind you, there are five guys in motorbikes in there and the orb is not big. One wrong move and bam, you're being driven over a motorcycle. It was so cool.

And just because of the length of this review, you know that I'll give it a perfect 10. No questions asked.

So all in all, the entire show is an 8 out of 10. The acrobatics make most of the show so its all good. I believe they're on until May so head over to Resorts World Manila and watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment