Saturday, March 26, 2011

American Idol - African Dance Reigns Supreme!


Hello fellow Idol fans, I'm back! After a very stressful week at work, I can finally sit down, relax and have my weekly dose of Idol. And this week we are treated to sounds of Motown, a staple Idol genre/theme which we've seen over the past few seasons. I'll admit, I am excited, this season has revived my Idol fandom and I shall be watching with earnest just like I did way back from Seasons 3 to 6 and a bit of 7 or 8. Really, the only season I failed to watch was 9.

On with the show!

Casey Abrams - "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
This is a whole lot better compared to last week but still not that strong. Casey is a charmer, he's an entertainer and I think with the less growls he makes, the better the performance. Kind of like how the less screams Jacob and James does, the better. And this is a prime example of it because Casey really delivered. I enjoyed it. (8/10)

Thia Megia - "Heatwave"
Ah Thia. Randy Jackson rejoices for hearing her sing an up-tempo song. I do too. You would think that somebody like Thia who slays ballads would have a voice that's not fit for up tempo but she delivered with this one. She managed to retain the smoothness of her voice which is one of the things that I like about her and she's having fun. Something new, something different for Thia. Nice. (8/10)

Jacob Lusk - "You're All I Need To Get By"
Ah Jacob. Finally giving me something to like about him. This is good, he finally got to control his voice AND he acknowledged the fact that he can get screechy. This is just the perfect song, perfect genre, perfect week for him. You couldn't say he did a horrible performance because then you would be deaf in my opinion. Lol. Nice, nice. (9/10)

Lauren Alaina - "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
The opening of the song was really good but then it got weaker by the minute. There's this sense of her struggling, like she's trying to catch her breath but nevertheless, her voice shined, her personality shined and I think she's a great singer. (7/10)

Stefano Langone - "Hello"
I think Stefano shot himself in the foot with this song. Its just so disappointing with how he dealt with such a huge song. Its too big for his voice and I think he shouldn't have sang it. I'm a fan of Stefano, I think he's just a little firecracker but this is just sad. (6/10)

Haley Reinhart - "You've Really Got a Hold On Me"
Hailey finally made me love her again with this one. Definitely a whole lot better than last week, she finally showed who she is, her voice sounded good and after being in the bottom three two weeks in a row, she finally showed that she deserves to stay. It is kind of weird though that she has her head tilted to the side all throughout the performance. Hah. (7/10)

Scotty McCreery - "For Once In My Life"
You could just hear millions of girls sighing with this performance. Scotty has finally won me over. I'll admit it. He went out of his country zone (because Motown doesn't have any country performers, thank God) and nailed it. He changed the song to make it his own and he sounded amazing. Charming, good voice, I loved it. (9/10)

Pia Toscano - "All in Love is Fair"
I'll say it right now, I am officially in love with this woman. Lol. This song is just, 'oh my gosh, that is so awesome' category. The last note at the end was just fantastic and I don't care if she keeps singing ballads, she can whoo me anytime. (9/10)

Paul McDonald - "The Tracks of My Tears"
Different, but still not the best. I am losing hope that Paul will deliver a stellar performance. Everybody has wowed me in one their performances, Paul hasn't so far. But still, his charisma will carry him far in this competition and I do hope there's at least a week that he's good. (7/10)

Naima Adedapo - "Dancing in the Street"
Leave it to Naima to do something fun and she delivered, she definitely delivered and I know she doesn't have the best vocals as to compared to Pia, Thia and Lauren but she can definitely perform up there on stage. And the dance at the end, perfect way to end it and showcase who she is. Great one. (8/10)

James Durbin - "Living for the City"
Ah James is back to his high-note voice again. Not liking it at all. Such a shame since I loved him last week, this week was just a no for me. He still has the chops but as far as it goes, if he keeps doing this, I wouldn't find any reason to like him or root for him. Shame. (7/10)

So who do I think is in danger? Based from the performances, Stefano performed the weakest and so did Paul but based on how the votes went last week, I have to go with a female going home. Haley's pretty lucky so I doubt its her. So I'm guessing Thia.

Off to watch the results show now!

No comments:

Post a Comment